Community Councils were established under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972. There are 730 Community and Town Councils in Wales and all have exactly the same statutory functions. These powers are generally all aimed at improving the quality of life and environment for local people. In the case of Llangennech Community Council these functions are mainly as follows:
- The provision, management and maintenance of the Bryn Hall, the Community Centre at Hendre Road and the Cricket Pavilion at the Park.
- The development and management of Llangennech Cemetery.
- The development and maintenance of the Recreation Ground at Station Road and Cae Pwynd at Morlais Road. This includes the maintenance of the Rugby/Football pitch and Bowling Green. Maintenance costs are also involved in respect of the Cricket Pitch, in addition to the considerable self- help and contribution provided by the Cricket Club.
- Annual Safety Inspections with repairs and general maintenance on a daily basis.
- Maintenance of over 15 miles of Public Footpaths.
- Footpath lighting.
- Providing environmental improvements, and acquiring land for this purpose whenever possible and affordable.
Llangennech Public Cemetery: For further information contact Clerk to the Council.Tel 01554 820181 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to the above the Council wishes to encourage residents to become actively involved in matters affecting the community and has allocated a period of "Public Participation" at the start of all its meetings. This enables everyone to participate monthly and ask questions on any matter of interest that has arisen.
This "grass roots" approach can only become more important as the prospect of County Councils becoming larger, fewer, and more remote, beckons for the future.
The Council consists of twelve Councillors who are elected every four years. The Secretariat consists of the Clerk to the Council and the Council Surveyor. It is the function of both Officers to advise and guide the Council as required. The Council meet on the second Monday of each Month [except during the month of August when it is in recesss]
The venue of the Meetings alternate monthly between the Bryn Hall and the new Community Centre. Agendas are displayed at the Bryn Hall Notice Board and at the Community Centre.